Will it Run Part 4
by Bradley Kaplan
If you have not read parts
1, part 2 or
part 3 yet it is
suggested you do so.
In Part 3, I dropped the motor into the frame and
it fit perfectly. The motor is secured to the frame by 2 screws
on the side the gear is on. I used 2 of the 4-40 screws I cut
down for this step. One of the screws ends up fitting under the
gear of the powered axle. So this means once assembled the motor
will not come out again.
I slid the wheel with the powered axle back through
the frame and then pushed the other wheel onto the end of the
axle. After properly aligning the side rod holes, I used a center
punch to hit the end of the axle. This spread the metal on the
axle to hold the wheel in place. This is what Lionel did when
they made the piece.
The next thing I did was to wire up the engine to see if it would
run. I connected the pickup shoe directly to one of the brushes
and wired up the engine without the reverse unit.
After I was satisfied that the motor ran properly,
I screwed the rebuilt reverse unit into place and wired that up.
The reverse unit needs to be wired so when the the arm is facing
forward the engine goes forward and when it is facing backwards
the engine goes in reverse. Lionel used to offer track trips that
if the reverse unit hit one of these trips it would reverse directions,
so for that reason it has to be wired this way.
Lionel motors are wired so that one end of the field
coil is grounded, and the other end of the field coil is connected
to a brush. The other brush is connected to the pickup. To reverse
the direction of the motor, you switch which brush is connected
to the field coil and the brush that is connected up to the pickup.
The reverse unit has four connections, one from the pickup, one
from the field coil and one from each brush. It handles reversing
the brush electrical connection for you.
The next step was to install the handrail onto the
body. In a part 2 I put the body back together for a photo (and
also so I would not loose the parts). I needed to put the missing
handrail on install the body onto the frame. So this required
disassembling the body again. The handrail has a pin that goes
thru the body and is supposed to be secured by hitting it with
a center punch. This is a hard angle to do, so I decided to put
a piece of solder on the handrail sanctions inside the engine
to hold it on. This way I would not damage the body.
At this stage I slid the cab back onto the steam
chest and it was ready to be put into the frame
I ran a wire that went from the pickup thru the
hole just forward of the smokestack that was to power the headlight.
I first bolted the rear of the engine to the frame
followed by the middle of the engine. (actually the middle and
front of the engine have a long piece of steel with tapped holes
the both screw into that runs the length of the boiler)
Next I laid the steam chest in place and ran the
last bolt that runs from the steamchest through the motor frame
into the long piece of steel inside the engine.
Next the wire for the headlight was connected and
the headlight slid onto boiler. This was followed by the boiler
front. (If you remember from Part 2 their is a rod thatruns through
The side rods and connecting rods get screwed in
place and the engine is finished!
Eventually I may re-create the missing coal bunker
that goes over the reverse unit. If I create it I will probably
make it attach with a magnet so I do not ruin the authenticity
of the piece.
With this engine I succeeded in restoring it to
its original glory. I only added the parts that where missing.
I was able to successfully clean off the coatings of paint and
restored this to what I would consider TCA "good condition."
I would not consider this a restoration since no paint was used
on it. (though if I sell it I will have to disclose what parts
are reproductions and the fact the armature was re-wound)