- consider cheese boxes and cigar boxes
- tin cans
- trim parts from all sorts of things
- “government” metals.
What color to paint it?
- any color you have.
- outside your window
- the new owners name
- your favorite railroad
- date you built it.
Details on the piece may help with the provenance. Examples:
- a tender with a coal pile door could mean that the modeler knew important features that shoud be modeled because he was a railroad man
- a trolley with rain deflectors over the doors could mean the modeler was a trolley man
The fun in all this?
It’s all about figuring out:
- what the builder had in mind
- where the parts he used came from
- the joy in building and giving these works of art a home
- (sadly more of these folk-art pieces should have remained with their families)